Sandra Gutierrez chats with us this week about gaining the confidence to write cookbooks and never giving up. She also tells us about her recovery from a broken neck and not knowing if she would live through surgery or ever be able to move again.
Sandra is an expert on Latin American cuisine, a journalist, and a food historian. Her work has been widely published in magazines and in newspapers across the country.
Her book, The New Southern-Latino Table: Recipes that Bring Together the Bold and Beloved Flavors of Latin America & The American South, is credited with discovering a new culinary movement and her a new culinary movement and is on exhibit at The Smithsonian Museum in Washington DC.
Sandra shares her recipe for Elotes Locos with us. It’s a delicious, quick and easy summer side dish!
Grilled Corn with Crema and Cheese (Elotes Locos)
Makes 6 servings
6 ears of corn on the cob (very fresh corn)
1/2 cup Mexican crema or crème fraiche
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1 cup crumbled Queso Cotija (or Parmesan)
Ancho chile powder (to taste)
Place corn in a large pot of boiling water and cook for 3-4 minutes; remove from heat; set aside. Heat a grill until moderately hot. Grill corn, turning until slightly charred and tender. In the meantime, combine crema and mayonnaise in a measuring cup; set aside. Place crumbled cheese in a shallow plate.
When corn is nicely grilled, remove from grill and wrap the bottom ¼ in aluminum foil (to make a handle. Dip into the crema mixture, rolling well until coated. Roll in the cheese to coat; top with as much chile powder as you like. Serve immediately.
Copyright© Sandra Gutierrez, 2022; All Rights Reserved.
Women Beyond a Certain Age is an award-winning weekly podcast with Denise Vivaldo. She brings her own lively, humorous, and experienced viewpoint to the topics she discusses with her guests. The podcast covers wide-ranging subjects of importance to older women.
- Website: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenBeyond/
- Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WomenBeyond/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/womenbeyondacertainage/
- Episode archive: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Email us: WomenBeyond@icloud.com
- Denise Vivaldo is the host of WBACA. Her info lives here: https://denisevivaldogroup.com/
- More of Denise’s info is here: https://denisevivaldo.com
- Cindie Flannigan is the producer WBACA. Her info lives here: https://linktr.ee/cindieflannigan
- Denise and Cindie’s books: https://www.amazon.com/Denise-Vivaldo/e/B001K8QNRA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share