Linda Civitello is back with us this week to talk about her award-winning book, Baking Powder Wars: The Cutthroat Food Fight That Revolutionized Cooking. American women in the 1800s were tied to their kitchens, having to make beer to make yeast so they could bake enough bread for their family to survive. (Bread was more than just a staple, people used to eat a pound a day!) It’s from these women looking for shortcuts that baking powder’s development began. It’s a surprising story involving presidents and robber barons, bribery, lying, cheating and more! A fascinating story about how a product that changed our food landscape forever!
Linda Civitello is also the author of the award-winning book, Cuisine and Culture: A History of Food and People. She developed the curriculum and taught history of food at culinary schools in southern California and speaks frequently on a wide range of food history topics. Her book is used to teach food history in culinary schools. Linda has spoken at Harvard University, appeared on television on Bizarre Foods, and on the BBC. She cooks professionally, making historic recipes using heirloom flour and Italian pastries, and gelati for a select clientele. She is currently writing an article on food and racism, and a book on Food and Film from Prohibition to James Bond.Linda has a B.A. from Vassar and a Ph.D. from UCLA.
- Buy Baking Powder Wars: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0252082591
- Watch America Takes the Cake: https://vimeo.com/240607433
- Buy Cuisine and Culture: https://www.amazon.com/dp/0470403713
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/linda.civitello
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/linda-civitello-b00a3722/
Women Beyond a Certain Age is an award-winning weekly podcast with Denise Vivaldo. She brings her own lively, humorous, and experienced viewpoint to the topics she discusses with her guests. The podcast covers wide-ranging subjects of importance to older women.
- Website: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenBeyond/
- Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WomenBeyond/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/womenbeyondacertainage/
- Episode archive: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Email us: WomenBeyond@icloud.com
- Denise Vivaldo is the host of WBACA. Her info lives here: https://denisevivaldogroup.com/
- More of Denise’s info is here: https://denisevivaldo.com
- Cindie Flannigan is the producer WBACA. Her info lives here: https://linktr.ee/cindieflannigan
- Denise and Cindie’s books: https://www.amazon.com/Denise-Vivaldo/e/B001K8QNRA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share
To leave or reply to comments, please download free Podbean or
To leave or reply to comments,
please download free Podbean App.