Our guest this week is Debra Freeman. Debra has written for outlets such as Plate Magazine, Epicurious, Garden and Gun, Pit Magazine, Gravy, Southern Grit Magazine, and Gastro Obscura, has had her work featured in Huffington Post and The New York Times, and has done cultural commentary for BBC Radio and other international outlets. Freeman writes about the intersection of race, culture, and food. Read Why Yellow Cake is so Important to Black Celebrations, along with some other pieces by Debra (links below)!
Why Yellow Cake is so Important to Black Celebrations: https://food52.com/blog/26915-boxed-yellow-cake-mix-black-celebrations
A Fruitful Journey: https://www.southernfoodways.org/a-fruitful-journey/
Here’s Looking at ‘Cue: https://www.southernfoodways.org/heres-looking-at-cue/
Women Beyond a Certain Age is an award-winning weekly podcast with Denise Vivaldo. She brings her own lively, humorous, and experienced viewpoint to the topics she discusses with her guests. The podcast covers wide-ranging subjects of importance to older women.
- Website: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Join our Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/WomenBeyond/
- Follow our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WomenBeyond/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/womenbeyondacertainage/
- Episode archive: https://womenbeyond.podbean.com
- Email us: WomenBeyond@icloud.com
- Denise Vivaldo is the host of WBACA. Her info lives here: https://denisevivaldogroup.com/
- More of Denise’s info is here: https://denisevivaldo.com
- Cindie Flannigan is the producer WBACA. Her info lives here: https://linktr.ee/cindieflannigan
- Denise and Cindie’s books: https://www.amazon.com/Denise-Vivaldo/e/B001K8QNRA%3Fref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share